Friday, April 23, 2004

"But the tree huggers were trying to save trees, Roy, they weren't just hugging them for the sake of it."

This disappointed me slightly. A lot in fact, as I had the previous day surmounted my towering but irrational fear of high voltage to hug an electricity pylon.

Look: In the 70s the hippies hugged trees, in the noughties we hug pylons. Its a beautiful symmetry, a postmodern OK computerish comment on the state of our lives, and particularly the state of the Trondheim suburbs whose secure, homely estates and cul-de-sacs are ruthlessly scythed, divided by the power grid techinician's pen. I told him this.

He pointed out subtly that this was rubbish. He didn't say as much, but I realise now that I do spout a lot of crap. Please tell me, I need to know.

As soon as I think of a reason to save electricity pylons I'll show him..

Sentinels

Although theSlog does not condone the hugging of electricity pylons, it points out that if you get close enough to a pylon to seriously consider doing this, the structure is probably not live so it is probably safe. Probably. No liability accepted.

No comments: