Tuesday, January 20, 2004

My quest for a googlewhack continues fruitlessly. Dave Gorman and his whacking friends make it sound so easy! No such luck.

-40 in NY, 30 below in Canada, and, well quite barmy (or balmy?) at times here - nothing on which to fret mother. In tribute to my first ever prolonged experience of snow, I debuted on a ski slope on Friday. Roy was my name, snowboarding was my 'game' but you have to take it seriously if you're gonna be the best. ahem, anyhoo, I feel pretty proud of myself having, after 4 hours, begun to look pretty darn experienced in scooting down the piste, as long as no one notices that I can't turn. I can turn of course, to be let loose on the slope without skill would be criminal, but in snowboarding you should ideally decide on one foot to point down the slope and stick with it, which means to cross the slope left to right, you have to turn your back slightly to the direction you're goin, which my mind didn't have a problem with per se, but my body just wasn't having it. stubborn thing.

In other news a weekend was spent in this cabin and much fun was had in the snow. Perhaps pictures will follow.

Minority Report was seen once again and doubly enjoyed, especially Tom Cruise chasing his eyeballs down a drain. I tried to fault the plot in this film because it seems so potentially flawed but could not. The concept and imagery is simply genius: 'Howard Marks'' (wasn't he someone else in real life?) Georgian housing and lifestyle, the Andertons' seaside home, John's memories on haphazardly labelled glass 'disks', Danny Witwer's braces and his slightly bizarre Irish-borne quirks... Why can't I have a computer interface like John Anderton's? Why can't we all? That's what the world should be like. Perhaps we are getting closer to that day.

That 'computer interface' link came from Chris Rusay's site, which appears to be quite nice.

No comments: